Tips For Securing A Rental Property
The rental market can be very competitive! So we’ve compiled this list of tips to help you understand the procedures involved to give you the best chance of securing a rental property.
- Before choosing a property to apply for, it’s important you do your research! You should know everything there is to know about the area and the type of property you’re looking for.
- Having a look at the price and quality of the homes available will help you assess what you’ll be able to get for your budget.
- The internet is now the most widely used property search tool. Be sure to sign up for email alerts – you will receive automatic notification of new properties that match your criteria. It’s a great time saver!
- Once you find a property that you think may suit, have a drive by to ensure you like the locale. Be mindful that, if the property is still tenanted, the viewings must be arranged at a time which is also suitable to the tenant – it is still their home for the time being!
It sounds obvious, but make sure you attend the viewing! The law requires you to view a rental property before you apply. If you fail to attend it is likely that another interested party will apply and you’ll miss out.
- It pays to be organized. Try to obtain references, tenant ledgers and payslips prior to inspecting properties. Having such documents on hand will speed up the application process and may give you a competitive edge over other applicants.
- You will need to pay around 6 weeks rent when you sign up (4 weeks for bond and 2 weeks rent in advance) so make sure you’ve got the funds ready to avoid a last minute scramble.